How to create a highly desirable workplace
A fundamental shift is indeed taking place all around us: more and more, today’s businesses find that, rather than asking or forcing individuals to step into line with the organization’s needs, they must adapt and transform themselves to attract the right people, keep them, and inspire them to do their best work, according to Rob Goffee and Gareth Jones in their book Why Should Anyone Work Here: What It Takes to Create an Authentic Organization.
So what are the key elements of a highly desirable workplace? Based on their extensive research, the authors have concluded that there are six broad imperatives:
- Difference: an organization which allows individuals to express the ways in which they are different and how they see things differently
- Radical honesty: letting employees know what is really going on
- Extra value: an organization which develops and adds values to employees
- Authenticity: an organization which stands for something that employees can be proud of
- Meaning: where day-to-day work has real significance; and
- Simple rules: where the same sensible rules apply to all
These attributes of good places to work are not particularly surprising, but they are quite difficult to implement. Many of the example organizations cited by the authors rated highly on one or more of the attributes, but not all of them. Nevertheless, the book provides a useful framework for those seeking to improve their organization’s standing as an employer of choice.