How to win customers on the Internet
Advertising is not dead, but content marketing is the driver that leading companies now use to capture the hearts and minds of their customers, according to Joe Pulizzi in his book Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break Through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less. We need to be epic with our content marketing, focusing more on our customers and less on our products; to sell more, we need to be marketing our products less.
So what is this thing that the author calls “epic content marketing”? There are six principles:
- Your content must fill an unmet need or answer a question for your customer
- You must deliver your content consistently
- Your content needs to be written in your voice, preferably with some humour
- You need to express an opinion rather than giving a balanced history report
- You must avoid sales speak, as it destroys the value of your content
- You must aim to produce the very best content relating to your content niche
The book goes on to describe how to identify and define your content niche and content marketing mission statement, how to create an editorial calendar and manage the content creation process, different content types and content assets, how to use social media in marketing your stories, other content promotion techniques, and how to measure the impact of your content marketing initiatives.
The author writes in a clear and compelling style, and his advice seems to be very useful to anyone engaged in business but particularly to those with a marketing role. It seems to me that the more that businesses get on the content marketing bandwagon, the harder it will be for anyone to get found amongst all of the content, so there is a big advantage to getting into content marketing as soon as possible.