Inspiration for dealing with opportunities and challenges
There are things you can do to help you succeed even in challenging times, and they are in fact the same things that you should do regardless of whether conditions are good or bad, according to Mark Sanborn in his book Up, Down or Sideways: How to Succeed when Times are Good, Bad or in Between. The things that you can do can never guarantee success, but they do increase the odds in your favour.
The book is divided into three sections titled “See”, “Think”, and “Do”. The first section discusses how to see opportunities in daunting waves; the second discusses mindsets that help deal with challenges and take advantage of opportunities; and the third discusses things which can be done to create sustainable success, including:
- Create products, services, experiences and ideas that other people value
- Keep your pipeline filled with relationships, valuable projects and potential customers
- Take care of the people you value and who value you
- Keep learning as much as you can about the people you serve and those who serve you
- It is not enough to be different; you need to be different and valued
- Protect what you value by building reserves
- Practise gratitude, which is the antidote for negative thinking
- Embrace discipline and consistently act on your intentions
Like the author’s other books, this one is short, entertaining and easy to read. There is nothing particularly surprising about most of the advice given, but much of it relates to the things which we tend to forget or neglect to do in the busyness and stresses of daily life. In my view the book is a handy and helpful source of inspiration for dealing with opportunities and challenges.