Mental toughness for leaders
Moxie is the essence of what makes a leader tough on the inside and soft on the outside; these people know what it means to get knocked down, but better still they know how to get back up; they also stick up for others, especially when the chips are down, and you want them on your side, and lucky for you, they most often are, according to John Baldoni in his book Moxie: The Secret to Bold and Gutsy Leadership.
The book goes on to discuss what the author considers to be the five elements of “Moxie”, namely:
- Mindfulness, being awareness of the leader’s circumstances, strengths and shortcomings
- Opportunity, which needs to be seized in order to make good things happen
- X-factors, which include the disposition to succeed and the inner resourcefulness to persevere
- Innovation, which includes the willingness to engage with the risks associated with doing things differently
- Engagement with others, in order to achieve sustainable goals for themselves, their teams and their organizations
Each chapter includes the story of a well-known person who embodies the particular characteristic being discussed.
As is the case for most leadership books, there is scope for debating the leadership characteristics which have been described as essential and those which have been omitted. While this book does not describe all of the characteristics necessary for good leadership, it does provide an entertaining and useful discussion of characteristics associated with mental toughness and perseverance.