Valuable resource for any organisation’s long-term planning
Change is in the air, but it is difficult to get a grip on exactly what is changing, how and why, and what the future will look like as a result, according to Georg Vielmetter and Yvonne Sell in their book Leadership 2030: The Six Megatrends You Need to Understand to Lead Your Company into the Future. The book contains the authors’ best attempts to imagine the future based on key megatrends which they have identified in current global society.
The six megatrends described in the book are:
- Globalization 2.0, in which economic power is shifting from old economies to fast-developing Asian markets
- Environmental crisis, with critical resources becoming scarcer and climate change bringing a range of threats
- Individualization and value pluralism, which will create niche opportunities, but also require far greater sensitivity and agility
- Digitalization, which generates unprecedented transparency, requiring greater attention to reputation management
- Demographic change, which will bring a shrinking workforce and a war for talent as populations age
- Technological convergence, which will place huge demands on companies to stay ahead of the curve
The authors provide further ideas for consideration by outlining a number of ways in which the megatrends might reinforce each other, and a number of dilemmas which are predicted to create increasing decision-making difficulties for leaders of organizations.
There is plenty of room for debating the likely severity and effect of some of these trends. For example, resource scarcities frequently turn out to be less imminent and less severe than expected. Nonetheless it is much better to have thought through possible future scenarios than to be caught completely unawares when predictable events occur. The authors have undertaken extensive research in coming up with their predictions, and the book provides a valuable input for any organization’s long-term planning.